The action or process of adding something to something else.
It is one of the four basic operations of arithmetic.
The addition of two whole numbers is the total amount of those values combined.
Other names for Addition are Sum, Plus, Increase, Total.
There is a combination of three apples and two apples together, making a total of five apples.
Example: When we add 2 and 3 we get 5.
We can write it like this:
2 + 3 = 5
An addition sentence is a mathematical expression that shows two or more values added together and their sum.
We can write the mathematical expression for 7 plus 4 equals 11 as:
7 + 4 = 11
7 plus 4 equals 11
The numbers that are added are called addends and the answer to addition is called the sum. In an addition sentence, the addends are added to get the sum.
Addition of small numbers can be done using your fingers too.
Using these sheets will help your child to:
- use column addition to add up two 2-digit numbers together where regrouping of Ones into a Ten is needed;
- use column addition to add up two 2-digit numbers together where regrouping of Tens into a Hundred is needed;
- set out a 2 digit column addition;
The sheets have been split into sections so you can easily select the right level of difficulty.
- Section 1 has regrouping of ones into a ten;
- Section 2 has mixed 2 digit addition with and without regrouping within 100;
- Section 3 has regrouping of tens into a hundred;
- Section 4 has regrouping of both ones into a ten and also tens into a hundred.
Example: We can do addition by writing one number below the other
and then add one column at a time:
The same method works with numbers in the hundreds, thousands and so on.
But we must be careful to move over one column each time.